Thursday, June 2, 2011

Drugs and the dentist

I had to take my four year old to the dentist today. She had an appointment which we have been waiting two months for. At the Montreal Children's Hospital they have a speciality dental clinic for children. They deal with special needs children, dental emergencies and kids that need to be calmed during cleaning and procedures.

My daughter gets worked up at the dentist so she had to take drugs to calm her. Well, that was quite the experience today! It was funny and scary all the same. When we got to the clinic we walked up the stairs and waited in the waiting room. The doctor came in and gave her some medicine in a cup and we waited. Five minutes after she took it, she started to giggle. I laughed because she was really funny! She started losing her inhibitions and saying funny things. It's like she lost control of herself. I was waiting to see if she would have to go to the bathroom or something. Well, she tried to get off the chair and landed on the floor. Luckily another mom picked her up. I had the baby in my arms and was helpless to do anything. My daughter was okay though. She laughed about it.

When they finally brought her into the dental room, they strapped her to the chair with what looked like a straight jacket. They called it a sleeping bag. Yeah right! Fancy words for what it really is! She was strapped in and the procedure started. I sat in the room and watched with the baby on my lap. The doctor kept on repeating things that she was doing. Calling fillings "stars" for her princess teeth. Ingenious I think. The doctor said that she wouldn't remember much and so that's why she kept on repeating herself to my daughter.

We sat there for an hour and a half while fillings were done and her front teeth were fixed. We were exhausted when we finished. We came home in the Medical Mobile - The best service in the world! Another passenger named Keith entertained my giggling girl with daffy duck voice. It was funny! Then he tried to tell some dirty jokes to the rest of us. Funny! I am glad my daughter won't remember much!

Well, there's another appointment in a few months. Now I know what to expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment