Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beads at the McCord

I went to the opening of a new exhibit at the McCord Museum last night with a good friend. I had a chance to go into the vaults and have a look at wampum and beadwork created by some of my ancestors.

It's quite a thing to see things made long ago, we're talking hundreds of years ago, by your ancestors. They put so much detail and care into everything. It brought to mind all those hours I spend sitting at the table beading. I wonder what went through their heads as they beaded or created the belts. I know that I find beading to be a very calming and therapeutic activity. In fact, I would have to say that it is almost like meditating.

The beadwork I saw yesterday was so detailed. The beads they used were much smaller than the ones we use today. I don't suppose they wore glasses, which many of us would need to see what we are doing with those tiny beads. The colors in the pieces are so vibrant, even after all this time. Their beadwork flowers and plant life looks almost real. It comes off the fabric. I try to achieve that same effect with my beadwork. I suppose the raised beadwork of my people is also trying to bring to life the flowers and animals in the work.

Anyway, it was an experience that I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment