Thursday, February 10, 2011

The word is born!

Welcome! Introducing me and my blog.

Okay, so a friend of mine has a blog. There are many blogs out there. It gets me thinking, what purpose do blogs serve? Are they a way to broadcast yourself to yourself? Are they a way to communicate ideas? Or, are they a way to clarify your thoughts? I don't know. So I ask myself why I want to start a blog?

Well, I am home for the next 8 months. I just had a baby and am on maternity leave. Currently the snow is piled high, so getting out is out of the question. I have been home for four days straight with no one but myself to talk to. Oh sure, friends and family call but our conversations are about family things, social things. I like to think I am a thinker, a writer, a wanna-be academic. So, I need to engage with my thoughts. Challenge myself to think and grow. Of course this blog is supposed to also be about me as a mom, sister, daughter, community member, etc. But, as I always say, research, writing, academic discourse comes out of real life experience. If you don't see that, then you may as well stay in your armchair and keep at a distance. Myself, I like to engage with my reality. I always have!

So, let me get back to the point - why I started this blog. It's really a selfish reason. I want to engage with my thoughts, with life around me. Who knows what will come out of it? I have lot's to say on a lot of things. I have researched and written about Iroquois women, identity and membership issues, traditions, women culture, to name a few. This blog will help me to develop my ideas further in the absence of an academic setting. So, what happens if no one reads this? It really isn't the point. I have never been an exhibitionist anyway! It is about expanding my thinking.

It's not going to be x-rated or anything like that. It will be more about me thinking life through as I travel down the road. Why one year? Well, it seems manageable. I can commit to writing every day for one year.

So, the journey begins.

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited and looking forward to reading your writing and hearing your thoughts on many different subjects. Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! What a great idea... you are no wanna-be... like you said its all life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wanna-be" should not be part of your vocabulary! I have never known you as one to be a "wanna-be;" you have always been a person of determination and therefore a doer. "Wanna-be" assumes that you are standing on the side lines, looking at the game; where as you are in the game! Keep going and I'm looking forward on reading your future posts... ;-)

    ReplyDelete