Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Patrick's Day, an experience!

I went out with my mother, my baby niece and two youngest daughters today. After a trip to Rigaud to pick up a bike carrier, we ended up visiting an old friend of my mother's from her McGill days. He lives in Hudson, Quebec. He is a jolly kind of guy. Smart as a whip and the perpetual bachelor with the house to match. I am sure if he was reading this, he would have a chuckle. As it turns out, the Hudson St. Patrick's Day parade was starting just outside his door.

It started with the parade marshall, then the requisite men in kilts piping and drumming. With a rousing cheer, the parade began. We all stood outside and watched the floats go by. To watch a parade is something as an adult. Most would find it boring, but the key is watching it through a child's eyes...even if they aren't your own. A friend of this man showed up and stood with us and commented on this fact. She and my four year old talked about the events as they unfolded before them - the funny costumes, which dog was the best, the Shriner's cars and the like. She also had this funny insight - if it weren't for the dollar store, there would be no St. Patrick's Day parade for Hudson! All the floats had the same shiny shamrocks stuck to everything. One man was even handing out the flag of Ireland. I think the best part of it all was watching three generations of my family enjoying a wonderful sunny day!

Throughout I got text messages from sisters asking where we were. When I texted: In Hudson at the St Pat's parade, I got back an instant "Oh!" and "LOL!". I guess for them and myself, it was unexpected. Ah well, it seems that sometimes the most unexpected things turn out to be the best experiences. So, with that note, I forgot to write that at the end of it all, we got invited to a St. Patrick's Day party in the oldest coolest house in Hudson. The couple who own it are generous. They converted the old building which used to be a depanneur (excuse the spelling) into a beautiful house. We enjoyed great food and even better company while my niece crawled around and my daughter colored her velvet cat picture she got at the parade. I have to say, the generosity of strangers surprises me sometimes. I guess its time for me to pay if forward, but for now I'm tired. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment